INSIDE THIS ISSUE
- Update – New Q-Code Effective October 1, 2018 and July 12, 2018
- Reminder – New C-Codes for Hospital OPPS use Effective October 1, 2018
- Medicare Influenza Vaccine Pricing 2018-2019 Season
- NEW Influenza CPT® Code 90689 Effective January 1, 2019
Drug Reimbursement Code Price Updates
- New Clinical and Billing Information
Large Price Changes:
We identify and report on the codes with the most substantial pricing increases or decreases each month and detail the rationale for the change.
Of the 37 AWP Drug Code Price changes this month, 17 (46%) were price decreases. The table in the Drug Reimbursement Code Price Updates section includes all AWP drug Code Price changes for this month. Please note: These numbers represent AWP Code Price changes only. See below for examples of codes with significant price changes this month.
LOOK UP PRICES NOW:
- J1270 Injection, doxercalciferol, 1 mcg: Decrease of 65%
- J7320 Hyaluronan or derivative, Genvisc 850, for intra-articular injection, 1mg: Decrease of 37%
- J0894 Injection, decitabine, 1mg: Decrease of 21%
- J0697 Injection, sterile cefuroxime sodium, per 750mg: Increase of 42%
- J2502 Injection, pasireotide long acting, 1mg: Increase of 33%
- A9579 Injection, gadolinium-based magnetic resonance contrast agent, not otherwise specified (NOS), per mL: Increase of 21%
Update – New HCPCS Drug Q-Codes effective October 1, 2018 and July 12, 2018:
CMS (Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services) has created 2 new drug Q-codes effective October 1, 2018. However, CMS has indicated that Q5108 will be payable by Medicare retro-active to July 12, 2018.
- Q5108 Injection, pegfilgrastim-jmdb, biosimilar, (Fulphila), 0.5 mg
- Q5110 Injection, filgrastim-aafi, biosimilar, (Nivestym), 1 microgram
Reminder- New HCPCS Drug C-Codes Effective October 1, 2018:
CMS has created 2 new HCPCS drug C-codes effective October 1, 2018 for Medicare’s Hospital OPPS (Outpatient Prospective Payment System) billing. Please note: Brand names, if applicable, are noted in parenthesis.
- C9033 Injection, fosnetupitant 235 mg and palonosetron 0.25 mg (Akynzeo)
- C9034 Injection, dexamethasone 9%, intraocular, 1 mcg (Dexycu)
To view the CMS October 2018 Update of the Hospital Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS) please see https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Transmittals/2018Downloads/R4123CP.pdf
Medicare Influenza Vaccine Pricing for 2018-2019 Season:
CMS has released the Medicare Part B payment allowance limits for the seasonal influenza vaccines for the 2018-2019 season. These payment limits are effective for Dates of Service 8/1/18 – 7/31/19. The Medicare Part B payment limits for seasonal influenza are 95% of the Average Wholesale Price (AWP).
|HCPCS/CPT® Code||Payment Limit|
|90653||For specific pricing please log into ReimbursementCodes.com|
According to the CMS website, payment limits for certain codes are pending payment allowances. We will monitor CMS for any updates to these pending rates and provide you with an update.
NEW Influenza CPT® Code 90689 Effective January 1, 2019:
The AMA (American Medical Association) has created one new influenza virus vaccine code effective on or after January 1, 2019.
Effective for claims processed with Dates of Service (DOS) on or after January 1, 2019, 90689 Influenza virus vaccine quadrivalent (IIV4), inactivated, adjuvanted, preservative free, 0.25 mL dosage, for intramuscular use will be payable by Medicare. Please note: The product for this code is still pending FDA approval.
CMS has released the following information regarding this code.” The new influenza virus vaccine code 90689 is not retroactive to August 1, 2018. No claims should be accepted for influenza virus vaccine code 90689 between the DOS August 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018. If claims are received in January 2019 with code 90689 for DOS between August 1, 2018 and December 31, 2018, contractors should follow their normal course of action for codes billed prior to their effective date.”
To view the CMS transmittal regarding this and January 2019 Influenza Virus Vaccine information please see https://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-Guidance/Guidance/Transmittals/2018Downloads/R4127CP.pdf
Please note: 90689 will be available in our data with our December 1, 2018 release to give you time to update your internal systems, if applicable.
DRUG REIMBURSEMENT CODE PRICE UPDATES
This month, during our review of the 3011 Reimbursement HCPCS/CPT® Codes in our system, we identified 37 Drug Codes that required a recalculation of their AWP Code Price. Log in to www.ReimbursementCodes.com to view the pricing updates for these codes.DRUG REIMBURSEMENT CODE PRICE UPDATES
DRUGS/DEVICES: NEW/UPDATED BILLING & CLINICAL INFORMATION
As new drugs come to market we review them for possible inclusion in our database. When a new drug is added to the database, we develop detailed clinical and billing information for the drug if appropriate.
During the past month, our review identified eight new drugs which needed to be added to our database. Our review of existing drugs in our database with clinical and billing information already assigned identified one drug that required updating. For specific coding assignments please log into ReimbursementCodes.com
- AJOVY™ (fremanezumab-vfrm) injection, for subcutaneous use – by Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc.
- AZEDRA® (iobenguane I 131) injection, for intravenous use – by Progenics Pharmaceuticals
- BELRAPZO™ (bendamustine hydrochloride injection), for intravenous use – by Eagle Pharmaceuticals Please note: the proprietary name, BELRAPZO was recently approved by the FDA. It is currently listed as bendamustine NDC 42367-0520-25 on the website and files.
- JIVI® [antihemophilic factor (recombinant), PEGylated-aucl] lyophilized powder for solution, for intravenous use – by Bayer
- NIVESTYM™ (filgrastim-aafi) injection, for subcutaneous or intravenous use – by Pfizer NIVESTYM is a biosimilar to NEUPOGEN (filgrastim) by Amgen
- OMNIPAQUE (iohexol) oral solution – by GE Healthcare Inc. Please note: this oral solution is supplied as 9mg and 12 mg of iodine per mL
- TAKHZYRO™ (lanaadelumab-flyo) injection, for subcutaneous use – by Shire US, Inc
- TRIVISC™ (sodium hyaluronate) for intra-articular injection – by OrthogenRx, Inc
- ACTEMRA® (tocilizumab) injection, for intravenous or subcutaneous use – by Genentech: Indications & Usage, Dosage & Administration, ICD-10-CM codes
Please let us know if you have any questions about the content or functionality of our site. Contact us to request the addition of a code to the site or share your suggestions for enhancements.
© 2018 RJ Health Systems International, LLC. All rights reserved. This newsletter and its contents are copyright protected. No part of this newsletter may be reproduced in any manner by any means without written permission of RJ Health Systems International, LLC.
CPT copyright 2018 American Medical Association. All rights reserved. CPT is a registered trademark of the American Medical Association.